My name is Gersande La Flèche. I am a writer and I live in Montréal / Tiohtià:ke with my partner Leif, a fluffy, operatic cat called Ben Le Flouffe — who is frankly the true protagonist of our little household — and a young Brittany spaniel called Pippin.
I use they/them/their pronouns.
The name of Montréal, Québec in Kanien’kéha. Tiohtià:ke is situated on the unceded territory of the Kanien'kehá:ka, traditionally the meeting place between nations.
To situate myself in the ongoing colonization of North America, I am a settler of Breton, Italian, Québécois-Irish and Colombian origin.
I'm the sysadmin of silvan.cloud, a Mastodon micro-instance, and I'm the community manager and owner of millefeuilles.cloud, an anti-corporate private social network focused on reading and financed by community donations.
In my free time, my nose is in a book or a notebook, a cup of green tea never far. When I'm not lost in my books, I'm either in the ballet studio or in the woods, ideally skiing.
This blog is a digital notebook I've been scribbling in since 2009, where I document my life and my projects, and think aloud on writing, dance, books, games, and of course, tea. I write this blog in both English and French and don't use any automated text generation tools: the ever-present typos prove it!
- The illustration on the homepage of this blog is the work of Ottawa-based artist and illustrator Krista Schmidt.
- This blog and its French counterpart are self-hosted Ghost blogs, and runs the Soloist theme.
- There are some very bare-bones analytics on this blog, powered by Fathom, focused on GDPR compliance.
- Ghost now has a patron/members-only comments system, but several years ago Leif helped me get set up with Isso comments which are hosted on my server which still works great so I'm not removing it.
- A big part of the sysadmin wizardry on display on this webserver is the generous work of Leif, who has helped walk me through how to responsibly and safely maintain this 15+ years old self-hosted website
- Unless otherwise noted, all text, photography, doodles, and other "content" on this blog was created by Gersande La Flèche.
An Ad-Free Blog
My blog has been ad-free since 2014, which means I don't get any passive income from my articles. Hosting and related costs only increase with time, and are now in the realm of several hundred dollars a year depending on visits and other factors. If you've ever found my blog fun or instructive, I accept small donations to offset those costs with a great deal of gratitude!